I mean seriously... she looks like a teenager with car keys here!

I was running the other day and Darius Rucker's song "It Won't Be Like This for Long". I bought this song off of Itunes 2 years ago for Justin for his first Father's Day. The song came on and I have heard it many times and it's one of my favs, but I pressed repeat and listened to it at least 3 times in a row before giving Mr. Rucker a break and moving to the next song.
So, there I am running, crying (not sobbing... but you get the picture!) thinking about my little girl. A part of me would do anything to push the pause button on life (even though we are anticipating a special arrival from a very special little boy :) to soak up EVERYTHING about this stage of Sienna's life. She is a hoot, plain and simple. Everyday I find myself amazed and absolutely head over heels in love with her. So many times lately Justin or I find ourselves randomly saying, "I just LOVE her!!" The feeling is indescribable. She is honestly more than I could have ever dreamed of in a million years, as cliche as it sounds, this mama means every word. She is lovey, cuddly, smart as a whip, cute as a button (see for yourself), and goofy with quite the sense of humor!

I think often times as parents, when things are hard with our kids, it is easy to think, "Oh it will be so fun when they can fill in the blank. It is nothing done intentionally, but it often anticipates the next phase without taking in the moments where you are at. And sometimes those moments where we are at are much easier to be wished away than to accept that "it won't be like this for long" and that it shall, too, pass. I can quite honestly say, I would be okay if Sienna were this age forever :) I have found myself saying so much, "I don't want her to grow up!!"
She always asks to read to Macy... so here she is showing her the pictures (upside down... but we won't tell!)

On the flip side, with 10 weeks to go before our baby boy gets here, this song also reminds me of the bare-bone amount of sleep that you get during those first few weeks (or months!), the exhaustion, the emotions, the struggles of "figuring it all out". I know that I am going to need to remind myself daily (scratch that-- maybe hourly) that "it won't be like this for long". And instead soak up the chaos and the craziness that will eventually lessen until shortly we find ourselves as empty-nesters...
To be honest, there are days I wake up scared silly about the adjustment. However, there are also so many nights where I am sitting there feeling his little elbows, feet, and knees moving across my belly where I am just dying to hold this little guy in my arms and see his sweet face... to have some snuggle time with this little life that is so precious. One thing that makes me anxious for the change is I want Sienna to feel incredibly, without-a-doubt, absolutely loved and special. I want her to feel like our special girl, important and cared for. I fear being inadequate for the job, whether that being a mother of two or a wife to a tremendously amazing man!
"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Corinthians 12:9
Wow- aren't you thankful that's the case? He's got our backs during our darkest, hardest days. Days where we feel completely inadequate for the task at hand.
Well, I better wipe these tears and get my little gal going for the day. :) Thanks for reading, friends.

I love your blog. The way you describe Sienna is exactly how I feel with my little boy. It is amazing how fast they grow. The other day Conrad was holding him and I got tears in my eyes because Braxton looked so big in his arms. I hold onto anything that looks like he is still little, but the truth he is a big boy now. So no worries about crying haha I do it all the time:)
ReplyDeleteBritt- what a great blog!! Sienna is truly a lucky girl to the parents she does! And little boy Smith will be the same way! We LOVE that song! Kyle plays it over and over for Payton, and I am anticipating one day seeing the two dance to it on a special day. (hopefully not for like 30+ years!!) But, it is so true, it has multiple means. I get sad hearing it lately too, feeling the same as you, as our girls are growing up much to fast. However, we definitely listened to it on those mornings that we had not sleep with 2 crying babies in the night. Those first few days/weeks are rough, I won't lie, but when you see those sweet faces and smiles, no amount of sleep could matter much! You will be an AWESOME mommy of 2, I have no doubt!!!! Thanks for sharing your feelings...makes me feel better to know I am not the only one feeling this way!!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this! I always love reading your posts because i walk away feeling inspired.
ReplyDeleteI'm 16 weeks pregnant and this post was an encouragement to treasure these moments, so thank you! Oh and i'm so glad that i'm not alone when it comes to being sappy or tearing up randomly!
Laura Moore
Hey Brit! Well, you made me cry. It is just so amazing having children and just so indescribable. Everything you said about intentional parenting and not just trying to get through the days to move on is totally what we're going to focus on at MOPS this year. I definitely want to be more intentional with my life! Well, I will see you tonight!!
ReplyDeleteI loved this blog!!! Love love love it :) I enjoy that song, too. I am going to challenge myself to not wish away where I am at in life with my children.
ReplyDelete