The Smiths

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Oh Sweet Summer...

Seriously--- does life get any sweeter than these summer days?? It is easy to push aside the To Do Lists and frolic in these wonderful high temps :) As long as water (or a popsicle) is somewhere near!!



I have been disappointed in myself and my lack of blogging. The summer has me anticipating the exciting opportunities each day. We many times are going non-stop all day... often neglecting my "chores" and lists of things I wanted to accomplish. The goodness of summer is just to sweet to let pass by. I have been spending the mornings going for a run while the sun is yet to be blistering hot, heading to the pool, playing outside, picking blueberries (about once a week! haha), meeting up with friends, spending some time on the lake, and so much more.

My afternoons that typically consisted of cleaning or planning for tutoring have now been replaced with sewing and other small projects (I promise to show you some of the things that have been consuming my time in a later post...). Justin has been home more often because he was one his "summer break" which ends on Tuesday. He is so amazing and has been working so hard with different mowing and landscaping jobs for others. With him working so hard through his summer break, I would be lying if I didn't say that I feel more than a little bit guilty when I am laying out in a camping chair dangling my feet into Sienna's kiddie pool while she is napping away. I feel a bit hillbilly, too. But that's beside the point :)

So many exciting things have happened since my last post. Too many to catch you up on all of them...

But celebrating our 4 year anniversary in Holland, Michigan was definitely a highlight. This was our FIRST time away from Sienna overnight. I had a silly, little breakdown as we pulled away. I think it confused my husband as he was trying to figure out if he did or said something wrong. I just missed her and her big blue eyes with those long eyelashes. I was going to miss out on two whole days of sweet little conversations with my baby. The two-day getaway was REFRESHING and so much fun. Justin surprised me by booking a really unique hotel that was right downtown Holland. Check it out! It was incredible!! I felt a little bit out of our league, like we were really high-rollers or something big. But it was fun to pretend for a night! The time spent with just my husband reminds me of all the reasons why I love him so much. It is easy to get caught up in "parenthood" and investing so much into this amazing little being that demands so much attention while the most important earthly relationship can often get the leftovers. The silliness can sometimes get lost in the routine of everyday life. Sienna will benefit by simply by seeing the love between her mama and daddy. A small, weekend-away trip is going to be a must for the years to come as are kids grow older.


Another highlight was having a best friend of mine visit from Illinois. We met during our freshman year at Bethel and became friends quickly as we were just doors apart. I remember gushing to her about this cute guy on the soccer team that I really wanted to meet. I would report to her after our date nights... all smiley and giddy. She had a long time boyfriend whose relationship was admirable now they are happily married. After her freshman year, she transferred schools to be closer to home. One short year was long enough to form such a strong friendship. The more we hang out and talk, the more I realize how freakishly alike we are! I am so thankful we are able to continue our friendship as we get older and our families change and grow. We try to see each other twice a year. Whether that means a trip to Illinois or her making the trek to Mishawaka. During the few days she was here we went to the Blueberry Ranch for her first experience picking blueberries :) went walking, sat outside like 2 hillbillies in a kiddie pool, spent time with family, watched The Bachelorette at my mom's with smoothies and snacks, and did lotttts of talking. If only we lived closer!!!!!!!


Lastly, us girls (my mom and sisters) were able to make our annual trip to Chicago a few weeks back. We take the Southshore because it is a relaxing trip (and everyone knows having us girls drive to Chicago would be a disaster). We do lots of walking, talking, shopping, and of course, eating :) Stopping at the so-great Giordano's for a slice of heavenly pizza. Once slice is bound to do some serious artery-clogging. Yeeks. Only us girls could spend a good 2 1/2 hours in Forever 21 and be perfectly content. The men held down the fort at home while we spend a day away. The time is always wonderful. We get all-out-silly and slap-happy on the way home, usually instigating lots of stares from fellow passengers. All in the name of love :) I am blessed.




Well, my darling is shouting "Mama" from her crib. My "me" time is up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment