The Smiths

Friday, October 8, 2010

Country Girl with City Girl Fears?!

I would like to think I am a country girl.... I grew up in the country and always had high expectations from my dad to get down to business and work hard. I never feared getting dirty, doing chores, marching around at my dad's hog farm with the glorious sights and smells of manure. I can side-step roadkill and consider the smell of pigs and cows "fresh air". However.... when it comes to rodents, I am as squeamish as any city-folk would be. I despise mice, snakes, rats, anything that slithers or darts here and there to find it's next crevice to be harbored in.

This afternoon I went out to the garage to put a few paints of coat on some things for Sienna's new room. I grabbed everything I needed, opened the large garage door and plopped myself down on the garage floor, just where it meets the driveway. I look up and see a snake, a garder snake, (or gardener, or garden....whatever, you get the point) had gotten squished underneath our garage door. Silly fella wasn't smart enough to jump in front of the sensor to avoid it's death. I was pleased to find that I had "caught" it, but am not going to lie and tell you I didn't squeal just a bit and high-tail it into the house with hopes of taking a cellphone pic and calling my husband to ask him if I stab it with a fork or whatnot... As I get back into the garage and head back to my scaly friend, I see his nasty spliced tongue sticking out at me and his body starts to recoil (I am seriously squirming in my seat as I type this!! YUUUCK!) Oh don't you worry--- he was just half-way squished and managed to slither back into our garage amongst our pile of who-knows-what-or-where-it-goes items stashed against the side of the garage. I am too chicken to peel everything away to catch the rascal and stab him with a fork (just kidding... I couldn't even get the nerve to touch it with a pole!). So, my husband will be pleased to know that this scaly friend will be waiting for him when he gets back in town. Hopefully, the snake will not invade the house in the process. I would move out PRONTO.


Anyways, as I was painting, I was thinking about God's creation and his amazing creativity. There are a few animals/insects that I just DON'T GET what He was thinking when he created them.... I guess I can ask Him someday... He probably has a really good answer... or maybe it is just to show his sense of humor.

For example: I don't know if I will ever understand the purpose of flies and mosquitoes.. or
This?!?!...

Or this...



But people probably wonder the same thing when they see these
...

2 comments:

  1. I am very afraid of spiders! We call them "s"es around here becuz I don't even want to hear the word! :) Ok, that last picture does NOT even look like you! I can tell it's Justin & Sienna but not you!

    ReplyDelete