The Smiths

Wednesday, May 12, 2010



My second Mother's Day, as a mother, has come and gone... and I can honestly say, this one was SO sweet!! The day was filled with some regular events and time with family. I was telling Justin the other day that I like Mother's Day better than my birthday :) "Really, why?" He asked. To be honest, I didn't have a quick response to his question. It's just a simple fact... I do!

The more I contemplated it, it became really clear why Mother's Day is so much more special and meaningful to me. Being a mother is a choice, it's a selfless, and exhausting profession at times. The day of my birth was nothing I made a conscious choice of - However I am eternally grateful that my mother chose this! :) And went through the joys of childbirth for me. Being a mother was something that I chose and it is something that I AM... something that I absolutely love being more than anything else in the world. Being a mother has been the best thing that has happened to me (alongside marrying the most amazing man, perfect in every way for me). Having kids changes your perspective on life. Things are no longer about yourself... it's about this little, precious, innocent life that God has entrusted to me... Wow- is that ever a humbling thought?! There are times where feelings of inadequacy seem to be overwhelming, but remembering that God, in His omniscience, assigned this amazing little girl to Justin and I - even for this brief time on Earth - seems to comfort me and brings me back to relying on His strength and wisdom to do this hefty job.

Often times I just look at Sienna and beam. I'm talking a grin from ear to ear, with absolute, pure, untainted joy. I am SO proud of the small things she is doing and learning. I can just pray and pray and pray that one day her and I will have a relationship that mirrors the incredible relationship that I have with my own mom. Who is by far one of the most amazing, giving, selfless women I've met, not to mention one of my best friends!

On the days where I don't get a shower, the house is a sheer disaster, I am wearing snot on my clothes, I was up countless times at night soothing a sick child, and frankly pulling my hair out sounds like a good idea... I am still forever thankful for this enormous blessing that is packaged into such a little girl. The job of a mother is something I could never truly grasp until 15 months ago :) How incredible it is..

So, without further ado... Mother's Day was filled with us spilling the beans about the newest little blessing that is growing!! November 22nd I am due with baby #2! Justin and I are thrilled. We know that chaos awaits... but, also even more love and reward that comes with being a parent :)

Here's our first picture of our peanut!

Many of you already heard the news... but bear with me as I share again ;)

3 comments:

  1. Ah, congratulations!!! I am SOOOO excited for you guys! Yippee! I loved how you wrote about being a mother...I agree totally! My heart bursts w/love & pride when I look @ my Braylon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! what a perfect day to share the wonderful news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations!!! that's so exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete